Your Energy Policy
A documented and published Energy Policy will show to your stakeholders that Energy Management is an organisational core value. It will allow you to commit the business to an energy efficiency strategy which will lead to increased profitability and a reduced environmental impact.
How Do I Start?
So you have your policies in place, HR, Finance, Purchasing, IT, Fleet, Security but what about Energy?
An effective energy policy can be as little as a few sentences, or as much as a number of paragraphs, but, it should be documented and publicised.
What Should It Include?
The Energy Policy should establish top management commitment to energy performance improvement and state the company’s energy priorities. Key though, is that the policy is documented and all staff, suppliers and customers are able to understand it.
- who has accountability
- what the organsational overall energy targets are
- how progress will be monitored and reviewed.
- human resources and training commitments
- how energy management will be integrated into wider business processes
- economic investment criteria
- integrating energy efficiency into existing capital investments
- reporting procedures
- links to other energy/carbon reduction programmes
SAMPLE ENERGY MANAGEMENT POLICY
EXAMPLE Company Ltd Energy Policy
EXAMPLE Company’s corporate mission is to provide:
- The best possible productsand highest level of customer service our customers
- Maximum value to our shareholders
- A rewarding work environment to our employees
In pursuit of this mission, EXAMPLE Company will strive to achieve a world-class reputation for energy management. We are committed to using energy in the most efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally responsible manner possible.
Energy management will play a key role in our organisation, across all business functions. It will support our plan to maximize profitability, strengthen our competitive position, and provide customers with the highest quality of services. Our efforts to reduce energy use and reduce our carbon footpring will also support our commitment to our employees, the environment, and the communities in which we are a part.
Toward this end, EXAMPLE Company shall work towards continuously improving energy performance. We will establish specific implementation plans by [date/timeframe], and will have made significant achievements in this area within [X] years’ time.
EXAMPLE Company’s objectives as related to this policy are the following:
- Provide the best possible environment for occupants of our facilities, while simultaneously maximising energy performance
- Reduce operating expenses and increase profit by actively and responsibly managing energy consumption
- Make available staff, funding and , tools and equipment for projects with a proven energy efficiency value.
- Demonstrate commitment to our community and leadership in the [insert industry] by reducing our carbon output associated with energy use
EXAMPLE Company will endeavor to meet or exceed the following energy management targets in service to these objectives: [Select or modify an appropriate, realistic set of targets]
- Reduce energy consumption in existing buildings by [insert %] over a 5-year period
- Reduce energy intensity [insert kWh target] by [insert %] in existing buildings over a 5-year period
- Achieve and maintain ISO5001 certification within our organisation by [insert date].
- Ensure all capital purchases consider energy efficiency and achieve [insert %] energy savings.
- Reduce carbon emissions associated with energy consumption by [x%] by [year]
- Continually measure and improve our energy performance against our baseline of [insert baseline consumption] [insert date]
- Reinvest savings from our energy efficiency programmes into additional energy efficiency projects.
This policy shall apply to all of EXAMPLE Company Ltd’s, sites, business units, employees, and contractors in service to our organisation.
Name CEO/COO/Chairman of the Board_____ Date ______________________________