ISO 50001 Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of impact will ISO 50001 have?
ISO 50001 is designed for widespread use by industrial facilities, buildings, and other organisations. If widely adopted, it could influence up to 60% of the world’s energy use across many economic sectors.
What factors will influence the use of ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 adoption is expected to be driven by factors such as the growth of corporate sustainability programs and the spread of energy management standards along the manufacturing supply chain. Companies may also find the energy and carbon reductions achievable through adherence to the ISO 50001 standard increasingly valuable.
Who are the intended users of ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 applies to industrial plants; commercial, institutional, or governmental facilities; and entire organisations. ISO 50001 provides benefits for organizations large and small, in both public and private sectors, in manufacturing and services, in all regions of the world.
Why should my company care about ISO 50001?
Energy is a critical component of an organisation’s operations and can be one of the largest controllable costs, depending on the activities. Improved energy performance helps organisations maximise the use of their energy sources and energy-related assets, thus reducing both energy cost and consumption. ISO 50001 provides a framework for organizations to make positive contributions toward reducing depletion of energy resources and mitigating worldwide effects of energy use, such as global warming, while improving the efficiency of organisational operations related to energy.
How does ISO 50001 fit with existing Management Systems (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO 14001)?
ISO 50001 is based on a management system model that is already understood and implemented by organizations worldwide. To provide compatibility and integration opportunities, the standard uses the Plan-Do-Check-Act approach employed in ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. ISO 50001 can make a positive difference for organizations of all types in the very near future by improving energy management practices.
What initial steps can my company take to prepare for adopting ISO 50001?
- Purchase ISO 50001:2011 Energy Management Systems
- Take preparatory steps toward establishing an energy management system (EnMS):
- Develop an energy policy that includes commitment to the EnMS from top management
- Identify a management representative to lead implementation of the EnMS
- Establish a team of representatives from major functional areas of the organization
- Decide on the boundaries of the EnMS. Once prepared, take steps toward implementing an EnMS:
- Undertake an energy review to identify significant energy uses, their energy consumption, and opportunities for improvement
- Establish an energy baseline
- Identify energy performance indicators for tracking energy performance improvement against the baseline
OR YOU COULD CONTACT GEBS ENERGY FOR AN ISO50001 – HEALTH CHECK
How much energy does my organization need to save to qualify for ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 does not prescribe specific performance criteria, percentage of Btu reductions, or target levels with respect to energy performance; however, it requires the organisation to continually improve energy performance..
Who will certify my facility, company, or organization for ISO 50001?
Certification Bodies will employ certified ISO 50001 Auditors to assess an organization’s or facility’s conformance to ISO 50001
Does my organization need to be certified to ISO 50001 to improve our energy management?
No. Organizations can take many steps to start improving energy management without becoming certified. However, certification to ISO 50001 provides a structured approach that incorporates energy management into company culture, resulting in sustained energy savings and continual improvements in energy performance over time. This can help justify initial investments in energy projects and ensure return on investment. Without a structured approach, there is no guarantee that energy savings will be sustained or that return-on-investment will be maximized.
What kinds of professionals can help my organization implement ISO 50001?
GEBS ENERGY CAN PROVIDE THE EXPERTISE TO ALLOW YOUR ORGANSISATION TO EFFECTIVELY IMPLEMENT ISO50001 LEADING TO CERTIFICATION AND OBTAINS MAXIMUM BENEFIT AND SAVINGS FROM IMPLEMENTING THE ENERGY MANAGEMENT STANDARD
Are UK & European. companies implementing ISO 50001?
Yes. In the United Kingdom, manufacturing plants and commercial organisations are implementing ISO 50001. They have recognised that :
- a successful implementation of the standard will allow them to send a message to their stake-holders that they are Energy Lean and are not passing the costs of waste down the line.
- Allow them to be ahead of the competition by having certified green credentials.
- Open up tendering and supply chain opportunities.
- Save money.
- Reduce their reliance on fluctuating energy markets and tariffs